Monday 8 April 2013

Spoonerisms in Chinese and Japanese. Evidence of the role of visual processing?


Spoonerisms in Chinese and Japanese. Evidence of the role of visual processing?

The use of spoonerisms as an example of phonological processing independent of visual processing fascinates me.

Whenever I am asked to ‘do a spoonerism’ in English, I believe that I
  1. Envisage the spelling
  2. Swap the letters around
  3. Say the spoonerism.

I visualise the letter/sound sequence.  This then depends on visual processing.

I would love to know what happens with a Chinese/mandarin reader/speaker or a Japanese does when asked to ‘do a spoonerism’.


This is a URL to a discussion on the topic. Have a look.

It is really important in the question of the role of visual processing in dyslexia.
If it is not possible to do a spoonerism in an ideographic language, we should stop using it as evidence of a phonological processing indicator independent of visual processing.

Is there anyone who could tell me before the Oxford-Kobe conference?

No comments:

Post a Comment